Friday, October 16, 2009

Being a mother entails many things, not the least of which is the responsibility of instilling a sense of caring and purpose into the next generation. Recently, a mother of three decided that time was of the essence, and elected to choose the Seva Challenge as a way to communicate her beliefs to her daughters.

Tina Tran has a passion for yoga, and through that passion came some self-revelation. "Since I was a teenager, I had a strong desire to travel to Africa to do humanitarian work. I considered going back to school to study nursing to begin my career on this path." Once Tina became more and more immersed into the yoga lifestyle, she realized that her dream was growing stronger. As she studied with various yoga master teachers, Tina could feel the pull towards something greater than herself.

Master yogi Seane Corn became the catalyst for Tina's burgeoning consciousness. Tina took classes with her, and soon became attracted to Ms. Corn's latest project, called Off the Mat, Into the World which called on all those who practice yoga to participate in changing the world for the better. This message instantly called to Tina, who experienced an epiphany. "I am just an ordinary person, but I would like(my girls)to understand my motivations for contributing to underprivileged communities." Through the aims of the Seva Challenge, i.e. to "inspire activism and leadership in its participants while collaborating resources to help communities in crisis", Tina decided that this was the forum to express her commitment to meaningful social activism.

"This was a valuable opportunity and my motivation was strong, so I signed up to participate," Tina recalls. She soon got sponsors from all over San Jose and the environs: Bijan Bakery, Yogurtland, Willow Glen Yoga, and Earth Baby, to name a few of the many companies which are supporting her dream. To travel to war-ravaged Uganda in order to build an eco birthing center as well as a primary school would be a dream come true for her, and thus she has scheduled a series of events to raise money to this end.

Her goal is to raise the $20,000 necessary to personally go to Uganda with her yoga mentor Seane Corn. "I am now close to the end of the Seva Challenge and I have raised more than $10,000. There were many setbacks and lessons learned, but in general, great things have come out of this endeavor." Tina goes on to express equanimity no matter how much she ultimately raises: "I have found comfort in the knowledge that the money I have raised will contribute towards truly meaningful projects that are monumental in improving the quality of life for the people of Uganda, who have suffered for generations."

Tina's latest fundraising effort will come tomorrow, 17 October 2009, at Willow Glen Yoga. Two of the Willow Glen instructors, Debora Cohen and Lorien Neargarder, are offering vinyasa sequences from 1:00P-3.15P, for a suggested donation of $25. All proceeds will go towards Tina's Seva Challenge, and the balanced blend of movement, stillness and relaxation will hopefully put everyone in a good frame of mind to give generously. It will also launch the next fundraiser in Tina's sequence and is a wonderful opportunity for couples, families, friends and relatives to get out and do an activity that is not only sound for the body but excellent for the heart. soul and purse strings as well.

Tina Tran can be reached via her website. The Seva Challenge she is participating in will end December 15, 2009, and this free-spirit is cheerfully going forward. "I would like them(her daughters) to see the similarities between themselves and the kids from Africa despite their cultural differences. I would like them to be guided by my example.. I know that for me, a strong sense of fulfillment comes from helping others and contributing to the bigger picture. I intend to continue down that path and see where it takes me."

No comments:

Post a Comment